Wednesday 30 January 2008

Here's Johnny

I just saw a documentary and I am inspired to write my reflections. So here goes...

The documentary was called Here's Johnny, and it was about a graphic artist named John Hicklenton. He was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis about 6 years ago. Basically, MS affects the nervous system, and results in loss of feeling, and eventually loss of the use of, limbs. Really not nice. The documentary features him talking about his "war", as he calls it, against this disease. The entire time he is incredibly upbeat and humorous (he was actually hilarious). You could tell the guy has massive amounts of courage.

John, as well as the documentary producers were at this screening, as this was the first time it was being shown. There was a Q&A afterwards as well. John said that he draws for about 10 hours a day, because that's really all he has to get him through this. He said as long as he can use his mind and his hands, he is fine. As he was talking, you could tell that it really is a struggle for him. His words were upbeat, but you could see his pain in his eyes (and my Dad always said "the eyes are the window to the soul"). Also, almost every question that was asked resulted in him rambling on and eventually coming back to him talking about how all he can do is fight, and that once he was no longer able to use his hands and/or mind properly, he would make the decision to end his life via euthanasia.

It really got me thinking. Since graduating, I have been fairly focused, but I have also done a lot of slacking off. Which is OK (esp after being battered by ND for 4 years), and in fact it is good and healthy to relax. But then there have been times where I've thought about a small project to do, or a job to apply for, or something like that, and I've said "Oh, I'll just do that tomorrow." Well, John won't always have a tomorrow. And I think that is an important thing to remember. Not everyone in the world has a tomorrow, and one day neither will we. I know that I am basically just re-wording the "carpe diem" philosophy, but in this context, as he is an artist, and has a passion to create, and utilizes all available time doing just that, I suppose it speaks to me on another level.

Here is the info on the screening.

You can see some of his work in this
interview.

You can see a clip of the documentary on Animal Monday's (the producers) website. Apparently it will be shown at SXSW, so if anyone is going there, look out for it. It's worth it.

Thanks for reading.

Much love.

X

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'll be looking out for this one. there's such a purity to the documentary form that i am beginning to fall in love with. my favorite new doc. film is "billy the kid." it's about a weird kid from maine that makes you realize that it's really our perceptions of what's normal that are jading our judgments of people. i think it's all about the sincerity of the characters.